If you’ve ever been involved in a car accident, you may remember feeling angry, panic-stricken and uncertain of what to do. By following a few simple steps after a car accident, you can prevent additional injuries, reduce costs and expedite vehicle repairs and your insurance claim.
Erie Insurance also offers the following suggestions to help you stay composed after crash:
- Pull over. Pull your vehicle off the road and out of harm’s way.
- Check for injuries. Check to make sure no one was injured in the car accident. If someone was, dial 911 for help.
- Call the police. No matter how minor the car accident seems, call the police to report the car accident. This will help to expedite your insurance claim later on.
- Exchange insurance information. Check the date on the other driver's insurance ID to make sure his or her insurance is not out of date. As a backup measure, record the other driver’s phone number, address, license plate number and the make and model of each car involved for your insurance company’s reference. Do not discuss who is at fault; leave that decision to the police and the insurance investigators.
- Record the details. Immediately record the details of the car accident including the date, time, location and weather conditions. For insurance purposes, it is always a good idea to keep a disposable camera in your car or carry a cell phone with a camera to take photos of your vehicle from every angle.
- Talk to witnesses. If you notice any witnesses, take down their names and phone numbers.
- Obtain a copy of the police report. After the police have completed the report for the car accident, ask for a copy for your insurance company. Write down the officer’s name, department and incident number.
- Call us. Be sure to call on the day of the car accident when everything is still fresh in your mind. Report all of the details to our agency or contact Erie Insurance.
For future reference, print a copy of Erie Insurance’s guide, What to Do When You Have an Auto Accident, and keep it in your vehicle’s glove box.